Sunday, May 29, 2005

EoMEoTE #7 - Pinkcocoa's Cincai Chinese Egg on Toast

uh oh! I completely forgotten it is the limerick edition this time round for EoMEoTE! *yikes* Forgive me, people. For not having any limerick. To tell the truth, I have never ever ever ever written a limerick and not a single poem in my life! Yes, even in primary, I had not done so! Gosh, I hope my entry counts!!

I am dedicating this post to our very dear AugustusGloop. Why? If not for the events reminder AG has kindly and very sweetly composed, I would have missed out on another EoMEoTE again!

EoMEoTE #7 - Cincai Chinese Mixture with Sweet Spicy Sauce
Cincai Chinese Mixture with Sweet Spicy Sauce
So yup, here is my first ever End of Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza (EoMEoTE) entry and what have I got here? It's Pinkcocoa's Cincai Chinese Egg on Toast. Please excuse the use of my er silly South East Asian slang here. Cincai is a Hokkien (one of the many Chinese dialects, very commonly used in South East Asia) term with a general meaning of anything can do or doing something casually. In Mandarin, it is termed sui bian 隨便. Because the same term can bear different meaning when used in different situation, cincai in this case means putting or making up something along as you go without the assistance of a recipe.

♥ tabeshimashita @ pinkcocoa's kitchen on 29 May 2005
EoMEoTE #7 - Pinkcocoa's Cincai Chinese Egg on Toast
♥ Pinkcocoa's Cincai Chinese Egg on Toast
I was in fact lusting after a breakfast of Taiwanese Egg Roll (dan bing) this morning but I had also wanted to do an egg on toast. Hmmm the egg element is there. What is missing is just the toasted bread. So there I was in the kitchen, couldn't decide what to cook for breakfast or more like brunch. Argh, what the heck. I might as well just use the toast like a dough. Good. Dilemma solved.

I was getting my bread and eggs from the fridge when I noticed a bowl of my leftover chinese stir fry mixture that I had cincai put together for an experiment in making chinese rice cake. And *ding* came a light-bulb moment, and so I proceeded to do this cincai version of egg on toast which bears a slight resemblance to Roti John.

EoMEoTE #7 - EoMEoTE #7 - Cincai Chinese Mixture on Toast wrapped around with Egg
Cincai Chinese Mixture on Toast embedded in a fried egg
First I toasted my bread, spread them with some butter (optional) and then pressed some of my cincai chinese mixture onto the toast. Beat up an egg (one egg for each slice of toast) with a pinch of salt and a tiny amount of water. Melt some butter or heat up some oil in a fry-pan, swirvel the egg mix around the pan so it forms a circular shape like that of a crepe. Quickly pop the toast with the filling side down onto the centre of the fried egg before the egg sets. Squash the toast a little if you like. Then simply bring the extra bit of egg over to the centre so the egg actually wrap up the toast. Don't worry if the toast cannot be fully wrapped. Fry until the egg is set then turn the toast over and fry for another minute or so. Serve warm with some Taiwanese sweet spicy sauce (tian la jiang) or eat as is.

As for the chinese mixture, I simply chopped up some eshallots, garlic, tiny bits of ginger, chinese pickled radish (cai poh), chinese waxed sausage (lapcheong) and some chinese mushroom. Then stir fry them in some sesame oil and a little soy sauce until fragrant. Remove from heat before adding a handful of chopped spring onions (scallions). You can also add some mince pork if you like or omit the sausage to make it a vegetarian version. There is really no correct proportion of each ingredient, simply adjust the amount of ingredients to your liking.

EoMEoTE #7 - Pinkcocoa's cincai Chinese egg on Toast
♥ Simple and Delicious, er, Chinese on Toast
Let me assure you the slices of toast are really there, barely visible underneath the massive amount of chinese mixture. I think I squashed my toast a little too much when I added them to the pan. This cincai egg on toast has quite a different taste . ShinChan was quite taken back by this egg on toast at first (I told him brunch was "chinese french toast") but decided he quite likes it.

Oh well, I just wanted to use up the leftovers. Luckily my cincai (here, this would mean something similar to a whatever or anything attitude) experiment was not too bad. I mean what can possibly go overly wrong with a slice of bread and egg on top, right? :p