Friday, June 24, 2005

Pineapple Guava - Feijoa

Feijoa
♥ Cute Little Green Eggshaped Fruit
We were at Fratelli Fresh the other day and spotted this cute little green egg-shaped fruit. Just when I was wondering what this fruit was, a gentleman with a whole basketful of these green fruits kindly told me that the little fruits were feijoa - a type of guava.

I was also told that the fruit is quite delicious. Having never tried this fruit before except in a bottle of fruit juice and seeing the gentleman with the basketful of feijoa, I decided to grab two to try it out.

♥ tabeshimashita @ pinkcocoa's kitchen during end of May
Feijoa - Cut in Half
♥ Feijoa A$7.50/kg
Feijoa is native to South America and is also known as pineapple guava. The fruit emitted a pleasant aroma that smells a little like guava, yet there is this sweetness and fragrant attached to it that it didn't seem too much like a guava. A pinkish-greenish flesh greeted us when the feijoa was cut open.

Feijoa - The Inside is pinkish!
♥ Pinkish Centre
We decided to enjoy the fruit by scoop out the flesh with a spoon. The pinkish flesh in the middle was the sweetest and has a very complicated flavour. The first mouthful reminded me of bubblegum flavour ice-cream! Second mouthful, we could taste a little banana and strawberry.

As we move outwards to the skin, the flesh became more and more tarty. The texture more and more like that of a guava and not as sweet too. We weren't sure if we could actually eat the skin but I am pretty sure we could. I took a bite of the skin and it was grainy and rather dry, just like that of a guava! It's also a little bitter.

Really the flavour is just quite complicated. It's kinda hard to explain here. You gotta try it yourself! I am not totally addicted to feijoa as yet. To be honest, I am not sure if I would be buying feijoa the second time. I think I still prefer the guava that's more commonly known to me. Then again, our tastebuds are changing all the time so you know never I might get really addicted to these cute little green fruits! :)